Welcome

Hi! I'm Missy Wilreker, and welcome to this new place for me to write and express. Thank you so much for reading and for your interest in what I write. This is a new endeavor for me, so let's see how it goes!

I was at Women Drummer's International - Born To Drum Camp 2011 and wandered into the "Writing as Ritual" class led by Odilia in the Spirit Lodge. Little did I know that the quick poems I wrote that afternoon, I would end up reading on stage at the open mic to such an ENTHUSIASTIC reception!

So many people encouraged me to continue writing and it FELT SO DARNED GOOD I am inspired to continue this adventure.

Feel free to comment on the poems, or give "prompt" suggestions to write upon as I am always awake and listening for what might inspire a flow of words and feelings.


Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Yellow Curry

Do my insides change color
when I eat yellow curry?
Is the bubble gum still there
from when I swallowed it in first grade?
What of my life sticks to the insides,
changes it around or turns it colors.

Where is the missing chunk of my heart
from that night he said,
"I don't think this will work out?"
Will it ever grow back again,
or will I be forever mis-shapen?

Are watermelons growing inside of me
from swallowing the seeds
of what I really think
or have to say out loud?
Is my stomach still sour from all those times I heard
"You're not good enough?"

A homeless man walks past me
and in that sacred moment of passing
he says: "Lady, you're a fuck-up."
I laugh.
I almost pee in my pants,
I laugh so hard.

And, that laughter is the medicine
that washes away the old sticky bits
that are sitting in my soul,
rotting.
Caustically eating away at my heart.
Every thought can heal or hurt,
it's in my choosing that the answers lie.

Maybe, where it once left me feeling
yellow and permanently stained,
the curry can nourish my being,
warm up my insides
and fill me.

2 comments:

  1. Humorous. Powerful. A chance to reflect on the thoughts and emotions which when woven together become the fabric that is the canvas of our life. Thanks for sharing, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, I really like this one!

    ReplyDelete