Welcome

Hi! I'm Missy Wilreker, and welcome to this new place for me to write and express. Thank you so much for reading and for your interest in what I write. This is a new endeavor for me, so let's see how it goes!

I was at Women Drummer's International - Born To Drum Camp 2011 and wandered into the "Writing as Ritual" class led by Odilia in the Spirit Lodge. Little did I know that the quick poems I wrote that afternoon, I would end up reading on stage at the open mic to such an ENTHUSIASTIC reception!

So many people encouraged me to continue writing and it FELT SO DARNED GOOD I am inspired to continue this adventure.

Feel free to comment on the poems, or give "prompt" suggestions to write upon as I am always awake and listening for what might inspire a flow of words and feelings.


Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Reflections

How do I see so clearly in you
what you can't see in yourself?
Somehow, the mirror I am
is fogged up,
covered over.

Oh, Spirit, what is it like for you
to know and still watch our
painful fumbles?
That paradox I live
of being at once
able to see clearly through your
divine eyes,
while still feel limited by this
being human.
What an odd experience,
when I just want to shout out
from the top of my lungs:
Wake Up! Open Your Eyes! Don't You See???

How do YOU see so clearly that
which I can't seem to see
in myself?
I doubt who I am,
the impact I have,
my importance and worth.
But you, you see it all.

I get it.
It's not that we don't have
the ability to see ourselves
outright.
It's that there is this big old obstruction
blocking the view.

An intrusion into my life
of wool pulled over my eyes
casting shadows of a doubt.
What's this thing in the way?
What's in the way?
What's in the way?
Whats.
In.
The.
Way???

A little voice that lives
inside my head
leading me
down the slippery slope of something
other than me.

Who's voice is that,
mother, father, friend,
tv, teacher, news and more.
Saying:
I'm not like him,
or her,
they over there,
or just like us.
You're not big enough,
Good enough,
pretty enough,
enough,
enough,
ENOUGH!

Enough of this chameleon voice
blocking my view
covering my eyes
twisting me around in dizzying judgements
of everything
but who I am
right now.

How can any of us see
across this crowded plaza
to the reflecting pool
of glorious beauty
right before our eyes?

Something so close
my nose is pressing on the glass.
So close, my own breath of hot air
fogs the view so I can't see a thing.
Isn't it what's the most obvious before us
that often seems the most obscure?

I close my eyes.
And in that brief moment of
quiet stillness,
the mirror hits me over the head.
Crystal clear, knowing vision returns.
All the voices and people disappear.
Now, I can walk easily across that plaza.
Its empty, quiet, the way is clear.

Each step takes me closer to the memory
of what is actually real.
We look into the reflecting pool together
and see ourselves
for the first time
clearly
in each other.


(SCWWW 7/28/11)

No comments:

Post a Comment